Sunday, December 5, 2010

one week

since you looked at me, threw your arms in the air and said you're crazy.

just kidding. it's been one week (and some change) since I got my stress fracture confirmed.

in the first two days I knit three scarves, and watched more tv than could possibly be helpful.
after four days, the school week started and I went to school on crutches, which is more humiliating and exhausting than it should be.

dear school,
you are not handicapped accessible. I have a stress fracture. It's not even a real handicap and you're still making this difficult for me. I'm late for most of my classes now, and I feel terrible because I make the people helping me late for classes. sure, teachers aren't exactly mad at me for coming in late, but considering each class period is 45 minutes, I'm missing a considerable part of the overall learning experience. please invest in hoverboards like back to the future.
with love,
pi.

I am physically capable of walking, which is the worst part. I can do it, I'm just not allowed to for fear of worsening the fracture. So, when I get to the point where I've made two people ten minutes late for their class because they're too kind to tell me to hurry up while trying to get up a flight of steps, I put my foot down (literally. oh gosh wow I'm funny.) and walk.

I hop up and down stairs because I don't really know how to use crutches properly. I can't open doors, and the immense weight of my backpack is getting cumbersome.

my coach doesn't think I'm really injured.

here's a secret: although I'm sure that I sound confident and capable of communication here, I am not actually this suave in real life. (I'll give you a moment to collect yourself. this must be a huge shock, and will likely cause some form of mental breakdown.) I can't very adequately communicate with authoritative figures. I stumble over my speech, and I'm really no good at that at all. I like my coach, I really do. But, I don't think that he understands my awkwardness or the fact that I'm positively incapable of doing really supposedly simple things, like using crutches in the rain or getting up and down steps. no, I am not acting about this injury, and yes, I really am so incompetent that I can't maneuver around on them when there is any sort of precipitation or incline. sorry.

here's another secret: it feels so much better. I'm curious how much longer I'm going to need crutches, because I'm not limping when I walk (half the time) and my other foot is starting to hurt from all the hopping.

I wish that I had something more interesting to say, but let's be serious: I'm pretty average.

No comments:

Post a Comment